combination NFT and airoponics
Very cool website!
I'm designing a system, combination NFT and aeroponic. I have some questions:
1. I was thinking about making my system out of clear plastic so I could see through it and watch the roots grow and be able to monitor everything inside. I've read that the growing chambers should be dark but I've also been to EPCOT in Disneyworld and saw the tomato plants with the roots hanging out in broad daylight and growing fine. Anyone out there using clear plastic on an NFT or aeroponic system?
2. Are there some plants that prefer to have a growing medium or can all plants be grown successfully with NFT and or aeroponics, i.e. without growing medium?
3. I more or less expect algae growth in my system. Is there a way to control or eliminate it without harming the plants? Is the algae a problem if it does grow in the system?
Thanks in advance for your help on this. It is very much appreciated. I hope I can contribute something in the future.
Steve in NC
1. If you made your system out of clear plastic it would look like something out of a Swamp Thing movie and smell like one too.
Disney I'm sure washes off the slime before the public sees them.
But if you still want to build one you can buy clear PVC at Aquatic Eco-Systems, Inc..
2. Short plants like lettuce seems to be a favorite plant for NFT. Tall plants like tomatoes and cucumbers usually use some type of medium.
3. The more light you can keep from hitting the water the less algae you will have. Algae isn't necessarily harmful to plants unless it gets so bad that it starts to clog the medium from getting oxygen to plants underneath.