Hydroponics Forums Discussions

Hydroponics Forums Discussions (http://www.hydroponicsonline.com/forums/index.php)
-   Hydroponics (http://www.hydroponicsonline.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Do I have to change reservoir every week? (http://www.hydroponicsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3228)

chopficaro 12-27-2015 03:24 AM

Do I have to change reservoir every week?

I don't want do that shit! It will wear out my water filters! Cant I just adjust the ph and add nutrients? I just want to do 2 reservoir changes, once between veg and flowering, and a flush a week before the end.

GpsFrontier 12-27-2015 04:29 AM

chopficaro,
You can do whatever you want to, their your plants. But don't be surprised when your plants start developing nutrient problems. Depending on the water volume and size of the plants, I would go anywhere from 1-4 weeks between changes. This article I wrote will help explain the relationship between plant size and water volume, factors that affect nutrient uptake, as well as some of the issue you'll encounter when the reservoir is to small for the plants, and/or you go to long between nutrient changes.

What size reservoir do I need

P.S.
You said you were planing to grow tomatoes. Tomato's don't have a veg and bloom stage. Their continuously fruiting, they do both stages at the same time. And the so called flush at he end, won't do anything for tomatoes.

chopficaro 12-27-2015 10:27 AM

corn!
wow another extremely helpful article
i guess there is no way of getting around it, i have to change it every week, at least in bloom.

Stan 01-02-2016 01:07 AM

With my tomatoes I usually change the water every 2 weeks anything over that and I see my plants suffer.

GrowinMaine 11-05-2016 09:01 PM

If I follow you correctly and read between the lines in the crop you are growing. I would say no you do not have to. I run my veg for six weeks and just adjust my pH and nutrient levels. During Bloom I do two water changes one a month (for 8 weed crop). And for my flush. I had a food safe surfactant like flawless finish to my water for two weeks.

Stan 11-11-2016 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrowinMaine (Post 12940)
If I follow you correctly and read between the lines in the crop you are growing. I would say no you do not have to. I run my veg for six weeks and just adjust my pH and nutrient levels. During Bloom I do two water changes one a month (for 8 weed crop). And for my flush. I had a food safe surfactant like flawless finish to my water for two weeks.

Tomato plants need to drink a lot of water compared to weed. Trying to compare the 2 is like comparing fire and ice. You need to also take into account the size of the reservoir being used. During the veg stage I change the water 2 times at the most as the plants don't take in much water. When tomatoes start to form I change the reservoir every 2 weeks as the plants really drink a lot water whereas weed will only take in what it needs and it's not even close in comparison.