Thread: Second system
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpsFrontier View Post
Yes those prices seem outrageous to me though I didn't see the ones that I actually use. Like the ones in the link from GGM. This wont work for building the hydro system but it may help you for the trellis (box frame). When I lived in California and grew tomato's in the ground I built a similar trellis using 2x4's. I cut them long ways 3 times so I had 4 long pieces, then cut each of those in half long ways again. So now I had 8, 8 foot poles. I then stuck some in the ground about 2 feet so there were sticking up out of the ground 6 feet. Then tied the rest of the poles to them horizontally to build a similar frame. You might be able to do something like that. It took a long time to cut the wood because all I had was a jig saw but it got the job done. I don't know if you can stick them in the ground but you should be able to tie, screw or nail them together so it can just sit on the ground similar to what I built.
I have built myself a crappy frame. I can't stick them in the ground because they are sitting on my deck - it was more aesthetics more than anyhting that made the pvc pipe look good. I even bought green paint in preparation. Oh well.

All I have done atm is drill 2 holes in a thick peice of cypress and hammer in long steel rods.... It works but its ugly.