View Single Post
Old 06-14-2011, 09:53 AM

Location: Southeast Washington State - Right on the line of growing zones 6b & 7a

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpsFrontier View Post
Hello fintuckyfarms,
My only concerns with that system are that I cant tell if it's light proof, and if not you will likely get algae growth. Also cantaloupe, pumpkin, and squash are all large vines. Even if you trellis them (and the heavy fruit), the size of the plants will likely make maintenance difficult.
Thank you so much for your information!
Yes the container is light proof, it is a very thick green rubbermaid and no light shows thru it. I picked it out especially keeping in mind all that I learned from this forum. As for the size of the plants, I havent really decided if that will be their permanent home or just their "right now" home till I figure something else out. Kind of been floating around an idea of using an old stocktank I have and making it an ebb and flow system with a 8 foot length of ridgid hog fence on one side for them to crawl up. I already have all this except the pump so it would mostly just be labor on my part.

I did manage to finish the light last night. It was harder then I thought it was going to be and I learned lots for "next time". I basically followed a design I found on the web (youtube I think) and made it out of mostly recycled parts I had laying arround. My mom gave me the light fixtures from her kitchen remodel, I did buy the concrete form for less then $10, used some scrap wood, some spray adhesive, a rescue blanket (97 cents). I did have to buy the new cord so I could plug it in; less then $10 and used some screws I had. TADA it's done with some help from my son. Now I just have to figure out how to hang it up My only concern is that the reflective part is wrinkled and I hope that does not adversely affect the eficiency of it. Next time i will overlap 3 strips of it so I have better control of it.
Attached Images

Last edited by fintuckyfarms; 06-16-2011 at 05:22 PM.