View Single Post
Old 04-28-2016, 11:37 PM

Hello malangon,

Quote:
Given the system I described, running a flood and drain, what plants would be your go-to choices for that setup?
Any plants that's root systems wont become to cumbersome, in other words small to medium sized plants (up to about 4 feet tall and wide). For medium sized plants I would space them farther apart than small plants. Not just to give the plants room to grow withough't crowding, but to give the root systems more space as well.

As for a go-to plant choice for that system, to be honest I cant say I have any. Over the years I have learned to design hydroponic systems based on the plants needs, and available space and resources. Not to design the system first, then try and to adapt the plants needs to the hydroponic system. For me designing the system first is doing things backwards. I start by deciding on what I want to grow, how much of it I want to grow, take into consideration the space available to grow it in. Once I have those things worked out, I can start deciding on the best type of system to grow them in, and start designing it.

In the past I have used a system like the one you described to grow peas in this system: third system. While I would consider pea plants to be on the large side of medium sized, the roots didn't cause too much problem with clogging. I did have to do preventative maintenance to keep the flood and drain openings from clogging each week. Pea plants are a vine, and I do like that design for vines. However if I were to do it over again, I would make some changes. But that's what it's all about, you learn by doing.

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 04-28-2016 at 11:41 PM.