View Single Post
Old 03-11-2017, 05:55 PM

You are completely right when it comes to having separate containers, I definitely need to optimize and consolidate containers. If I plan for long containers, I need to have a way to reach the roots, either being able to lift the growbeds or to have a side door. I have to work on that specifically per plant (or type of container if plants share "system design").

I have taken into account the dimensions of the fully grown plant's foliage in the container dimensions and the different container codes represent different "types of containers". For example, all B1(2,3, etc) containers are "balcony box" types where the container is a vertical box with protruding "balconies" where the plant foliage grows. The height of the container is calculated to fit 2 or 3 levels of containers. Since the "balconies" protrude from the sides, that should allow space for the plant to grow. The depth of the container is usually calculated to fit 2 plants (rows). The width of (almost)all containers is 100 cm which should account for 1 to 5 plants per "row" (depending on the plant).

You are completely right about the spacing being inadequate for sunlight to reach all plants. I need to work on that and am thinking of ways to simulate sunlight hours in my theoretical greenhouse.

Do you think upside-down grown plants would be a good option? Considering foliage will get somewhat less sunlight (at least in the beginning, until it acclimatizes and spreads) while the root system will have no impact unless gravity is a major factor in growth. Would that produce similar yield in plants which can maintain an upside-down structure?

There is also this concept which I'm yet to fully grasp: https://omegagarden.com/?content_id=175&product_id=1

On a previous note: regarding the rotating growbed containers; would it be viable to use the artificial water stream to "power" a water mill (generator) and use that to rotate growbed installation?