Thread: compost tea
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2009, 03:20 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpsFrontier View Post
I was hoping that you may have some tips on the subject, and maybe even be able to tell me where I can get the information I need to learn the right way to make my own as well?
Hi again,
I have been thinking a while of how I could help you best, before answering your question and pointing you in the right direction. Well, let me give you (and others) some basic hints and directions first:

1. There is very specific knowledge needed to be able to make your own and decent (if not perfect) nutrients. Hence, to not get overwhelmed, - give preference to first things first.

2. Do not try to reinvent the wheel (so to speak), but rely on what has been used, found and tested so far. This mostly concerns raw materials and all ingredients that are needed. nutrient manufacturing is a exact science and there is not very much room for creativity.

3. Get familiar with Gram and Liter units and understand that 1 PPM = 1 Milligram per Liter. This is the unit which is used for Nutrient Formulas.

3A. Do not mix-up NPK formulas with formulas that are expressed in PPM. While NPK is a industrial standard that does not respect molecular wight for P and K (as in K=28 - PPM instead (as in K= 280 PPM) is always actual content. Hence industrial (manufacturers') NPK formulas, if used or copied, need to be converted first!

4. Before getting started check local availability and prices of the needed ingredients. Here's a list of common raw materials:

Source of Makronutrients

Calcium nitrate
Diammonium phosphate
Magnesium sulphate
Monoammonium phosphate
Potassium phosphate Mono
Potassuim nitrate

Potassium sulphate

In Bold the ones you need by all means.

Source of Micro nutrients (trace elements)

EDTA Iron Chelate Fe
Boric Acid- Powder B
Manganese Sulfate Mn
Zinc Sulfate Zn
Copper Sulfate Cu
Sodium Molybdate Mo

5. With these ingredients at your disposal, some good instructions and a ready to go (normally 2 component based) recipe, anyone should be able to mix his/her own nutrients. All you need is some kitchen tools a accurate scale (preferably precision = 0.1 Gr) a few Liters of hot water and basic protection, like rubber gloves and protection glasses.

6. You still not close to understanding what you are actually doing, and how to optimize formulas. But well.... there's no overnight sensation to expect here.

Think about these basics requirements and needs!
If it sounds Ok and intelligible so far, you might be ready for the next step!
But if you feel already overwhelmed by these basics and things, - I guess you should not go for it yet.

Here's how it looks before I start to work