View Single Post
Old 01-28-2011, 05:08 AM

To each his (or her) own, but I'm not overly concerned with chemical leaching. I simply don't consider it as much of a problem as some environmental groups claim it to be. I have read about, seen on the news etc. a lot of this and that about it. But haven't really seen any true verifiable study's, from research that didn't have an agenda that would lead me to be concerned. I have even seen and read the same type of thing about leaching from food grade plastics. My mom is so paranoid (because she tends to just believe everything she hears), that she wont even put food grade plastics in the microwave. Don't get me wrong, that doesn't mean that I think all plastics are the same.

I basically have one general rule that I try fallow on the use of a plastic. If it smells strongly like chemicals, I will think twice about using it. Most plastics will have some smell, especially when new (like that new car smell). But that tends to go away over time. If it's a strong smell, it will basically take longer to go away. The only thing that I have come across that really made me think twice about using it was a black recycled trash can, that I planed to use as a reservoir. I wound up using it anyway, after a month or two of use I cant remember smelling anything from it again. Not that I sniff it regularly, but I'm sure after all the times I needed to change the nutrient solution I would have smelled something.

Also just because something might be in the water, doesn't mean its in the editable part of the plant. A good example is the 5000+ hydroponic tomato plants in Australia that were poisoned with an herbicide. All the plants died from the poising, but the tomatoes were tested by the Health department and no trace of the herbicide was found in the tomatoes.

But if you are the type of person that wants to do everything organic, and if you buy certified organic produce at the store, or even want to grow certified organic produce, you'll probably want to use food grade plastic. It's also my understanding that if your growing hydroponically, all plastics need to be food grade for the certified organic rating. But here again I don't buy the organic produce myself. I wouldn't mind supporting the effort, but not at such high prices. Especially when I don't feel the produce is any better for you. But the organic practices in field grown crops is better for the environment, and would be good to support.

P.S. I'm always weary of what any product manufacture has to say about their products, even similar products (theirs or not). Their goal is to sell products, not to provide objective information. Simply put, they want to make their products seem like the best on the market. Then when they convince you that they are, the next step is to explain why you simply can't do without them. That's how to make a sale.