View Single Post
Old 12-10-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Zeolite
That is a new on on me. Though I am not sure I have the right material but acording to Wikipedia
Zeolite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It says it's an "aluminosilicate minerals commonly used as commercial adsorbents" and it also reads " Zeolites have a porous structure that can accommodate a wide variety of cations, such as Na+, K+, Ca2+, Mg2+ and others. These positive ions are rather loosely held and can readily be exchanged for others in a contact solution." These things make me wonder if it will bond with the elements in the nutrient solution. I would also wonder if it were pH neutral.
Quote:
The nutrient solution, which circulates for 30 minutes of each 120 min. is 300 ppm Nitrogen, 6oo ppm Phosphate, and 300 ppm Potassium.
I use commercially manufactured nutrients myself, but I do know it takes more than 3 elements to make a complete nutrient solution. All of witch need to be water soluble or the plants wont be able to make use of them. "The composition of the nutrients is important and there are over twenty elements that are needed for a plant to grow. Carbon, hydrogen and oxygen are absorbed from the air and water."

Nitrogen (N)
Phosphorus (P)
Potassium (K)
Magnesium (Mg)
Calcium (Ca)
Sulphur (S)
Iron (Fe)
Manganese (Mg)
Zinc (Z)
Copper (C)
Boron (B)
Molybdenum (Mo)

Quote:
The lighting is 5000 degree cfl at about six inches.
I don't know a lot about using artificial lighting because I am using natural light. I would need to look into lighting for tomato's. Depending on the variety, tomato's are usually a continuously fruiting plant and should be using lighting for both (vegetation and fruiting) stages of plant growth (I'm sure).
Quote:
Most recently I have dug 30 grams of 0-30-0 garden fertilizer into the frontmost container (Celebrity)
I am not sure what you mean by digging it into the front most container. Though regular garden fertilizers meant for plants growing in soil are lacking essential elements and micro elements, and are not fit for use in hydroponics. They also may not be in a water soluble form, making what is there not usable to the plants. All of which leads to a very imbalanced nutrient solution.