View Single Post
Old 05-24-2013, 06:37 AM

Hello fintuckyfarms,
I think that's a great simple folder system. I have seen similar systems on YouTube, but I have yet to try it myself. I have researched fodder systems as well, and although I don't remember the exact specifics right now. What I do remember is very similar to your figures. Something like a 50 bag of grain turns into 5-10 times that weight in feed when you sprout it. And as you stated, is much more healthy for the animals because of the vitamins and minerals in the foliage compared to just feeding them grain. Even your animals appropriate/prefer the sprouts. Bottom line, why wouldn't anyone be interested in taking a 50 lbs of feed, and turning it into five times that or more. It makes no sense not to in my opinion.

I know you live in a farming community and I think it would be a great idea if you were able to also exhibit a fodder system at the fair this year. Including showing the benefits of fodder over feeding just grain. I think that would be a big hit in your area. Though I also think it would be equally important to explain the need to control bacteria and fungi that can easily grow in folder systems that could be harmful to the animals. Not to discourage people from trying it, but just to make them aware of the importance and how to control it so they can be successful doing it.

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 05-24-2013 at 06:44 AM.