View Single Post
Old 02-14-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
The tank & setup is in the green house but it dose get sun on the tank hmm 12 to 13 hrs a day here in florida
Well this is probably your problem right there. The water tank looks like it's not light proof and the sunlight will promote the algae growth. The sunlight on the tank also will probably make the water temp to high, also promoting algae growth as well as other unwanted organisms.

Also the tank itself looks like it would be hard to reach inside and scrub all over to get it out. If you don't get it all out it will just seed your fresh nutrients, making it return faster. Small amounts of algae Should be OK it is just when it begins to get out of control that it can be a problem. If you light proof the tank and keep the nutrient solution below 72 or 70 degrees you probably wont have a problem with algae growth in the reservoir.

Chlorine is not good for plants anyway. What I would be concerned with are Microorganisms and pathogens that might be in the water. I am not sure what they test the water for when you have it tested, also what the filter actually takes out. I use mostly RO water 90% and 10% of the hard water from outside hose water. I boil the outside water and let it cool before I use it to be sure it is free of these things. I haven't looked into it and I'm not positive, but I think the RO filter is sufficient to take these things out.

P.S. Also if you use a air bubblier/stone in the reservoir it would help keep algae growth down. As the air bubbles rise in the reservoir it keeps the water moving, and algae cant grow very well in continuously moving water (like in a river or stream). The more bubbles the better. The air bubbles also help oxygenate the water.

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 02-14-2010 at 06:39 PM.