View Single Post
Old 02-14-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Light proofing the tank could be done. Just need to know how? Maybe paint the outside of it?
For me the easiest thing to do is give it a few coats of black spray paint (outside only) it to block the light, then I spray paint it white to reflect light (so it dosen't absorb heat). Though brushed on paint might be easier on the finger (maybe even cheaper) for something that's large, not sure how many gallons the tank is.
Quote:
As far as keeping the solution below 72 would be the hard part for me.
I would start by keeping the sun off of it first. I don't know what the temp is of your nutrient solution, but if it's much higher than the 72 degrees your plants wont do well regardless of any algae. I may have a few ideas depending on how you have things set up. One common way is to keep the reservoir underground (no light proofing necessary). Another is a series of coils underground that can be run in two different ways to cool the nutrients. Also if keeping the reservoir above ground, using the coils to cool the solution I would insulate the reservoir to keep the cool in. In this case the insulation would act as the light proofing (if completely insulated). The easiest and cheapest way would probably be building a box around it, and lining the box with 1 to 2 inches of sheet Styrofoam insulation. Then filling all the cracks and holes in the box with spray insulation to make it air tight.
Quote:
The water is tested for human consumption so that its safe to use & drink.
That's what I thought, but I don't know if that tests for all Microorganisms and pathogens that are harmful to plants or not.