View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 05:09 AM

I use a 90 watt danner mag drive pump, I run it continuously with my system(NFT) And have almost no increase in my electric bill, for what you are describing, a 35 watt mag drive would be way more than enough. They are cheap and will run forever.
As for 115 temp, that's pretty hot, I've tried frozen water bottles but they don't work for me. My reservoir is a 100 gallon which is probably why. I think frozen bottles would work on a smaller tank. For the setup you described, I would think a 20 gallon or less would be more than enough. I grow tomatoes and the general rule of thumb for tank size is 2.5 gallons or 2.5 liters per plant, can't remember right now but I'll check my book and let you know. This site has a ton of good info on what kind of system you might want to use.
My info might not correspond to your setup as I have an NFT and things I do might not be helpful for other than NFT.
Either way, you can't go wrong with Basil and herbs as they grow great in hydro systems.

There are a lot more knowledgeable members of the forum who can get you dialed in to the right kind of system. Also, a pretty good book, by Howard resh, hydroponic food production.