View Single Post
Old 05-12-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
I can pop 2,000 umol (sunlight intensity) near 10 inches. The low range of high light levels begins around 150 umol. With umol count halving with each doubling of the distance, 250 umol is therefore 80 inches away.
First, I and most people are interested in growing plants larger than 10 inches. As well as a wide varieties of plants, not just low light requirement plants like lettuce. Second, for the sake of argument (because once again there is no research data to support your numbers, the equipment, and costs), but if one simply has plenty of money they can get a lot of light output from led's, and even florescent. If I wanted to I could get good plant growth from florescent lighting, and from 8 feet away. I just need to use enough of them and place them at different angles. I could even use double ballasts and overdrive the florescent lighting. But between the cost of equipment and electricity (total wattage), it simply wouldn't be cost effective compared to MH and/or hps. That's the most important part, and the part you always choose to ignore.