View Single Post
Old 02-16-2016, 09:21 PM

Default PH Issue

I dumped my nutrient solution as suggested and started anew.

4 days later the PH started to increase into the 8.2+ region every day. I'd add PH down -- get it in the 5.5 area --- 24 hours later --- back into the 8 range.

I use RO water as I have chlorimide in my tap water and multiple scientific paper state that chlorimide will negatively effect plant growth.

I also discovered that the RO process removes all PH buffering leaving only the PH buffering provided by the nutrients that are added.

I also discovered that adding O2 to the nutrient solution -- via a bubblier -- tends to offset the PH in the UP direction.

So it appears the nutrients I use have little buffering in them since after a day or two (maybe simple do to the bubblier) -- the PH tips and swings UP by several points.

I've been adding PH down but that is NOT addressing the buffering issue --- just chasing the PH dog's tail.

Any suggestions on a PH buffer that can be added?

I know that a buffering solution is made by mixing equal and opposite amounts of acid and base --- so that a small shift in PH does not produce a big swing as I am experiencing.

All comments welcomed.

Thanks