Thread: Pine Shavings
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Starting my first set up soon and was planning on using Coconut husks and Rice Hulls as the growing medium however I've found an outlet for some Pine shavings.
Can't say I have ever tried it, although I have thought about using similar products because of the cost of coco chips in large amounts. My biggest concern is weather it would be pH neutral. I have been wanting to do some testing on different wood chips normally used for mulch. As long as it doesn't have the leaves and/or roots mixed in that would decompose quickly, these would be easier for me to get as well as much less expensive too. Possibly even free from gardeners, or landscapers. I can get it free from the city, but I'm not sure it is clean enough or small enough to use as is.

Also, by nature wood floats. Using it alone in a flood and drain system would need to be closely adjusted. To high and the wood will rise and dislodge the root system, to low and it may not sufficiently saturate the roots. It will absorb water easily however (if not made from green wood) and with long enough cycle times the water level probably wont need to be very high anyway.
Quote:
I have a friend in Queensland who has about an acre of Strawberries under hydroponics using pine shavings.
I would be interested in seeing this setup, you wouldn't happen to have any pictures of it would you?

P.S. I have seen tomato's growing in what looks to be loosely packed hay bails also (picture attached).
Attached Images