View Single Post
Old 09-10-2011, 06:47 PM

I actually didn't start from seed in the system. I initially germinated the seeds in another container and then moved them to the system after the roots and first leaves were developed. I admit that it was before the first real leaves appeared. I am trying the same method with a number of other vegatables. I figured I would see how far I could get on a shoe string budget before investing in a proper propagation system.

As for the nutrient, I think I will let the system run for a couple more weeks without a change, just to see how things progress. What are the signs that I should look for which would indicate that the solution has been depleted of the essential nutrients. Will the plants change colour? Or start wilting?

BTW - while my reservoir has a 27 gallon capacity, I've only put about 12 gallons in the system at this point. Looking at the system now, I've only lost about 1 gallon in the last week to the plants or evaporation. Even with this reduced amount of solution, would you agree that I might be able to get at least two weeks before the change? Assuming I don't see any negative effects in the plants.

Thanks
GoodGilligan