View Single Post
Old 07-30-2016, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpsFrontier View Post
Hello Jamee,

1. Did you wash off the the excess dirt/soil off of the roots before you transplanted them into the hydro system? It looks like a dirt glob.
2. What is the large gray blob at the bottom of the roots?
3. What does the water look like? Is it clowdy or clear/translucent?
4. Does the water have a moldy or musty smell to it.
5. Does the water have a foam on top?
6. How do the plants look other than the color of the roots?
7. What is the total water volume of the reservoir, and how much H2O2 did you use. Was the H2O2 3%?
8. Do you filter your well water? Do you sanitize your well water (chlorine. UV light etc.)?
9. How long has it been since you transplanted them into the hydro system?

I don't know what kind of tips your looking for, or what your thinking of doing to your plants, but my website has a lot of information in it, including specific articles you will find useful.
1. Yes I did wash off the soil before putting the plants in the hydro system.
2. The gray blob is the slime ball I'm talking about. That's the part of the roots that remain under water and where the slime blobs form.
3-5. The water is clear and has no scent and no foam.
6. The plants are growing, some varieties better than others. Looking at them above the surface, you wouldn't suspect them to have root issues.
7. The H2O2 is 29% and my reservoir is 15 gallons. I went by the directions on the back of the bottle, "add 3ml of H2O2 per 4 liters of reservoir water", I used just under recommended dose and used 40ml.
8. The well water goes through a simple little Whirlpool filter, nothing fancy. No uv light or chlorine added.
9. Plants entered hydro system 7-11.

I also cut a runner from a strawberry plant growing in my outside garden and rooted it in some kind of soil/peat moss medium in a net pot, and now it's in a bubble bucket separate from the NFT. I use the same water/nutes mix that I use in the NFT and the plant's roots are white and healthy, so that makes me think that the water/nutes are fine and that the roots turned black because of shock from shipping across the country/being in refrigerator. Also, no slime blobs on the bubble bucket plant.

-Jamee