View Single Post
Old 05-23-2013, 09:29 PM

Location: Southeast Washington State - Right on the line of growing zones 6b & 7a
Default New fodder system for less then $10

So I have been playing around with sprouting for my chickens and turkeys. I have watched hours of Youtube videos and spent hours researching. I finally came up with a cheap easy method to raise fodder biscuits just the right size for my flock. I have not yet added a timer and pump but that is in the works but for now I just add water 3 times a day. I purchased 8 baskets at the dollar store and a tin pan to catch the water. I drilled holes on only one end of the baskets. I added cups to the tin pan and added two more stacked on top of one end to create a slope. Next I poked skewer sticks thru the holds to create a alternating slope down each level. I tested the system and it works perfect. I put in the seeds I already had soaking and started another batch tonight. Hopefully in 7 days they will be eating it!
The last picture is how I have been sprouting the pasture mix, just in odd shaped containers I could find. The chicks and turks eat all of it and come running when I go out with it. The data says it takes 1 pound of 30% digestable grain and turns it into 6 to 8 pounds of 80 to 90% digestable fodder with is enriched with more nutrients then unsprouted grain. So my 50 pound bag of grain should turn into at minumin 300 pounds of fodder. I will post more photos as the system fills up and when I feed it.....

Attached Images