View Single Post
Old 11-26-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willard3 View Post
The thing to which I take exception is to GPS Frontier claiming any knowledge of physics, electricity or lighting. He/she dosen't understand it and it would be a help if he/she admitted it at least to him/herself.

GPS's posts are either a clear demonstration of this lack of knowledge or a bad joke. Reading and learning something about lighting/electricity would help in these discussions.
You can take exception with all you want, that's your prerogative. And remember I can do the same. But I can tell you that I'm very comfortable with my knowledge (not that I know everything), and I simply wont be bullied into believing something just because someone that I don't knows demands it. Even in 7'th and 8'th grade, my science teacher (same teacher both years) would have the entire room set up as a lab at least once a week. Where we had to disassemble things like lamps, motors etc. at different station's around the room, explain all the parts and their function, then put it all back together so it works properly. My high high school auto shop teacher that I had for 5 semesters did exactly the same thing (including alternators and starters)' except we each had one at our own desk that we had to do by ourselves.

I also took electronics in High school for two semesters, and along with the textbook learning we had to build things like small radios from kits, making all the solder connections in the right places ourselves. Beyond school, I have also replaced all the electrical outlets (including all GFI outlets) in my moms old house. That includes behind the refrigerator and under counters like for the disposal. I also updated all the electrical switches in that house to the flat switches. There wasn't a outlet or switch that didn't get replaced, including all outlets and switches outside and in the garage.

I have also replaced the florescent lighting (including ballasts) in the kitchen, striped the wood molding and refinished it to give it a updated look. I have also added new security lighting in both the front and back of the house, and added an outdoor light fixture in the atrium, as well as installed the new electrical boxes for all the new light switches. That included cutting into the drywall and mounting them to the studs. Not to mention all the miscellaneous things like replacing existing light fixtures, door bells, thermostats etc.. Through all of that only once did I ever have a problem. There were two outlets where the voltage output was low (80-90 volts), and even after replacing them again it was still low. So we called a electrician in and he not only told me that I did a great job saving my mom thousands of dollars, but he also said the problem had nothing to do with my work. It was due to a ground short within the wall, and I would probably never have found it.

So again I don't clam to know everything, but I'm far from ignorant about electricity also, and I'm very comfortable with what I do know. Even if you don't like it. So when you say
Quote:
find the # of lumens for a lamp and divide by the number of watts....
Then when I give an example based on exactly what you stated "you have a florescent light that puts out 10,000 lumens at 100 watts. 10,000 divided by 100= 100. Is that 100 kilowatts?" this is your reply
Quote:
Watts/1000 = kilowatts
(Lamp watts/1000) X hours of operation = kilowatt hours
KWH X cost/kwh = cost
The problem here is you forgot to answer the question. You mention lamp watts, watts, kilowatts, but never mention lumens. The whole basis of your theory and the point of my question (in response to "find the # of lumens for a lamp and divide by the number of watts....") You simply started with watts and convert watts into kilowatts. So where's the lumen's you so adamantly referred to? You don't even seem to know. I gave you plenty of opportunity to explain, you just can't. Yet, you expect me to just believe you because you say so, even when you can't seem to figure it out yourself. Even if I wanted to, you have not supplied an accurate equation (showing your work) to calculate it with that would help anyone. You also have not supplied any information other than just your say so on your flawed theory. Talk about a joke, that's a good one.

Then to top that off you get offended when I choose not to believe in that theory. Then you resort to attacking my intelligence because I don't believe in your "divide lumens by watts" theory, rather than simply supplying links to sources that would support your theory. Again, that's what a real joke looks like.

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 11-26-2010 at 10:08 PM.