View Single Post
Old 05-10-2010, 03:54 AM

Lot's of good information, I will need a little time but a few things off the top of my head.
Quote:
Max. $5000,
I would recommend if the max budget is $5000 to shoot for a budget of around $2500-$3000. That way you'll have a buffer, unexpected things "WILL" come up, and you don't want to go under because of it. Also Do you have any experience with growing any of the plants/crops you are considering. That makes a big difference in any suggestions.
Quote:
Our first try at hydroponics will be located around our house. If it works out well we will look for a bigger and more suitable location.

Anyway here are the dimensions that can be used for testing:
A - Length 12.5 meter, Width 5 meter
B - Length 9 meter, width 2.5 meter (2 rows)
C - Length 15 meter, Width 2.5 meter (2 rows)
D - Indoor room 2.5 x 2.5 meter for testing temp. controlled growing of lettuce and cauliflower
I am not sure how to interpret these, is there 4 separate areas with different dimensions, or the same area with different configurations depending on design?
Quote:
The systems would be setup within a protected environment, aphid nets for the sides and plastic as rain cover + shade clothes for plants that require it.
Is this already built, or part of the max budget.
Quote:
For my setup I would like to use 2 main systems, depending on the type of vegetable we grow:
- DIY Dutch Bucket System for plants that either grow tall or are bushy and as such not suitable for deep pond. Small setup, mainly used to produce the listed herbs. Other plants only for testing purpose.
This is very reasonable depending on the reservoir size and crop recriminates.
Quote:
What design would you propose given all this input, GPS Frontier?
I have a lot of ideas, and designs in mind, but I don't know what resources you have to work with. I know your budget, but I don't know if you can get the same materials I can for the same prices. That will have a huge effect on the over all design, choice of crops and ultimately the profitability in the long run. I also don't know if you plan year round production of the same crops, or switching with the seasons. I ask because heating and cooling systems can/will cost money.
Quote:
How would you exactly design the Dutch bucket system when build by yourself?
This really depends on materials available to you, the principal is the same. A bucket in a bucket drip system that holds a small amount of nutrient solution at the bottom. Tubing for return and feed lines. Large enough buckets for the root system, and a level platform to run it on (un-level will take more work but can be done also). Personally I would decide by the size of the projected root system of the plant. Tomato plants (5 gallon buckets) pepper plants (3 gallon buckets), lettuce or strawberry plants 1/2 gallon or so etc.. I can build a 5 gallon dutch bucket for under $10 each. $2.50 a bucket, x2 about $5, the drain through hole $1.97. that's about $7. But I have no idea what is cost effective in your area.

Your concerns about power outages, nutrient temp and delivery are well founded. Ultimately it will come down to design, funds and resources.
Quote:
- What would be the most (cost) effective way to get enough oxygen in the deep pond system?
A large volume air pump in combination with water flow, like falling water or a water fall (the higher the fall, the better). Or if funds are not available to do both, go with the water circulation method, and don't allow the water temp get too high (you shouldn't allow it to get high anyway).
Quote:
- PH Up/Down: Some people did suggest using lemon juice for ph down and baking soda for ph up. Should this be used or is it better to import PH up/down if it is really nowhere to be found in here?
That's a tough one. I couldn't recommend using anything that is not designed for hydroponics, but I don't know how much it would cost you to ship it to you. I would go with dry, rather than liquid if deciding to have it shipped.
Quote:
- Could I use 1 nutrient recipe or do I need to create multiple? Since most vegetables I are about to grow are greens. Not much flower/blossom. Except maybe Cauliflower.
This really depends on witch crops you ultimately decide on, if they have the same pH requirements and the reservoir is large enough it's quite likely. But you may want to expand in the future also. If you are talking about just the recipe, and not if they all can run on the same reservoir, that depends on what it is and what it was designed for. You will likely be able to grow everything with the same recipe, but all of them perfect, no. That recipe has not been designed yet that I know of.
Quote:
Is it possible to control humidity when the sides of the structure are aphid nets? What is the best way to control it?
This is also a tough one, anything is possible provided you have the funds. Maybe not practicable, but possible. But if air easily passes through it, you wont be able to contain it. The netting will slow it down sum-what. But being in southeast Asia, I assume it's quite humid. Therefor I wouldn't expect you needing to add humidity. So air circulation would be your best bet, including trimming old leaves at the base of the plants for better circulation. Otherwise a dehumidifier may be needed.