Thread: My First system
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2011, 01:22 PM

I will have to think about that and perhaps regulate my dosing a bit better.. I have been haphazardly putting bleach in as I felt it needed it rather than testing for the levels.

I am trying not to use H2O2 as a clenser for the simple fact that I am unfamiliar with it as a clenser, and also the chlorine levels in the tap water (I am still using tap water till I can manage the money for RO) are high and I don't have a setup to clear the chlorine yet. H2O2+chlorine (in a couple forms) makes salt water... I think that could have been part of what happened before.. I think the H2O2 was reacting with the chlorine still in my water and making the airstones work like a protine filter.

I am going to have to give this more thought.. I do need to get my larger res's set up to make measuring other things easier.

I will let you know what comes of everything as it progresses.. Right now the only plants affected are the basil plants, but even the loose polyester keeping the water from spraying out is showing some discolor. I am wondering if the bleach could be causing the discoloration of the polyester? I will have to run a test of it on full strength bleach to try to hurry the reaction if that is the case. There are concerns of using bleach on similar things because it will break down some of the protine strands in certain plastics, and the loose filaments of the polyester batting would probably be more vulnerable. I will let you know what comes from that test.