Thread: Second system
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2009, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
I seriously need to shop around for pvc connectors obviously... everywhere I have been here charge like $3 for a connector... And you got 10 for $3.

Love the look of the system.
I am not sure where you live and if you have access to the same places, but I can tell you where I get them at. I live in Lake Havasu AZ it is a small town compared to Phoenix, I think we only have 40,000 or 50,000 people in the whole town. But we do have both Lowe's and a Home Depot, both places have just about the same prices on the 10 packs of the connectors and tubing. Though I like Lowe's better for the vinyl tubing and there connectors because they have a better selection of them.

Both stores have an isle dedicated to P.V.C. and connectors. You can get them individually or in 10 packs, with a little better price on the 10 packs. I constructed the trellis from 1/2 tubing and connectors. The 1/2 in tubing runs $1.17 for a 10 foot piece and as I mentioned the 10 packs of the connectors run about $3 for both the "T" and elbow connectors. The hydro system was built with 3/4 in tubing and connectors. The tubing was about $1.50 for a 10 foot piece and the 10 pack of the connectors are about $1 more than the 1/2 in connectors.

I also often get things at ACE Hardware when I only need a few things because it is an 28 mile round trip to Lowe's and Home Depot but ACE is only about 3 miles round trip. But ACE is more expensive and in some cases can be as much as twice the price. We also have some local stores like Havasu hardware that I use sometimes. That is where I was informed the Tupperware type of plastic has the stain resistors that don't bond well with just about anything.

Last time I was at Home Depot I was talking to an employee about something else but we were in the electrical isle and he was telling me the electrical conduit piping fits the same as the regular P.V.C.. It's just not designed to hold water pressure like the P.V.C. is, but it will work just fine because these Hydroponic systems don't require pressure. Maybe just a few psi but certainly not 90 psi. I like these also because the 1/2 in 10 foot tubing was $1.18, only a penny more than the regular P.V.C. and they are light proof. The P.V.C. is not exactly light proof. I will be wrapping pipe insulation around the tubing to protect from the cold this winter, so being light proof is not a big issue but a plus.