View Single Post
Old 05-14-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Hmm, so what I do is let it root while still part of the plant, then, once it has an established root ball, cut it, trim the leaves, and then store it in the refrigerator for some time?
Once the runners have a few roots, they don't need the mother plant anymore. Get the runners to start rooting, once they have a few roots then cut them off from the mother plant. Then let the runners grow into a small plant with a bunch of leaves, then trim the leaves off and begin the cold storage part or they likely wont fruit. Once you replant them they will grow new leaves.

This is from the article by Dr. Lynette Morgan 2009-11-01
Maximum Yield - Indoor Gardening

"Strawberries can also be propagated from runners – small daughter plants that form on the end of long stolons usually produced towards the end of the cropping season. These will root easily if pinned into a damp growing media or can be clipped from the stolon and rooted under mist like any other clone. Runners or plants purchased in a dormant state (usually available for sale in fall, winter and spring), can be held under refrigeration for as long as four to five months before planting out, allowing the season of fruit producing to be manipulated. However, the longer the plant is under refrigeration, the greater the chance of it losing viability, so only strong, well developed plants or runners should be given the extended chilling storage."

I would say for good well established plants I would chill them for 2-3 months. Sounds like you would be able to put the mother plant in cold storage also, tricking it into thinking a new season has started.

I don't know if you read this part from the same article:

" Breeders in the Netherlands have developed hybrid strawberry types which can be grown from seed and will fruit in their first season (another development as strawberry seedlings can be quite slow to grow to fruiting size). A suitable seed raised variety is ‘Sarian F1’ (Johnny seeds), or ‘Temptation’ (TM seeds) although no doubt we will be seeing more varieties later on."

You may be able to find these hybrids, and just start from seeds.

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 05-14-2010 at 09:05 PM.