View Single Post
Old 03-01-2016, 02:55 AM

Hello rick_ca, Sorry I missed your post.

Quote:
1 I can get access to food grade dark blue buckets but they are only 2 gallon are they big enough
What plants are you going to try and grow using them?

Quote:
2 Totally confused on what medium to use (internet overload) leaning toward perlite and Rockwool, can I use Rockwool cube surrounded by perlite or would the clay pebbles be better.
Personally I don't really like rockwool because among other things it gets waterlogged easily. But you can use just about any growing medium as long as you design the hydroponic system with the growing medium's characteristics in mind. As an example you wouldn't really want to use perlite as a growing media in a flood and drain system because it floats, and would pour out the top the first time you flood the system. That is unless you mixed it with something else like coco fiber and adjusted the water level so it didn't flood so high. And/or used something like rocks on top to weight it down. etc. etc..

Quote:
3 I’ve read watering/feeding 3 to 4 times a day but for what duration
The cycle times depends largely on the type of system your growing in, how you designed it, type of growing media, temperature, humidity, etc. etc.. You only need it on long enough to get the roots wet, and you don't want it off so long that the roots dry out in-between cycles. You want the roots to stay consistently moist 24/7.