View Single Post
Old 08-04-2016, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroDon View Post
The Hydroton is new and no, I did not wash it. So from the tone of your question, it sounds like I messed up?
I wouldn't say the hydroton was the cause of your problem but it more than likely added to the problem.

You have to always rinse off and clean hydroton. Brand new hydroton will have a lot of powdery clay on them.

With brand new hydroton fill a laundry bag with the amount of hydroton you will be using. Take the bag put it in a 5 gallon bucket or larger if needed turn on garden hose full blast and fill the bucket with water and let it sit for a few hours. You will see brand new hydroton is pretty dirty. Pull out the bag and really rinse them down really good with the garden hose, hang bag in direct sun and let dry. They are now ready to use.

When reusing hydroton you should always sterilize them first as to not pass on anything to your new plants. Put hydroton in a laundry bag with a rope attached, pour 1 cup of clorox bleach in bucket (don't use scented type) and fill the rest with water. Sit bag in bucket for an hour or 2, empty bucket. Now use H202 if you have the 29% 3 teaspoons per gallon if you use the 3% type bought at any pharmacy pour the whole bottle in and fill with water. Important: make sure the laundry bag rope is on the outside of the bucket. Do not put your hand in the solution as the hydroton might still have had some bleach on them. The water should fizz wait 10 -30 minutes pull bag out and rinse with fresh water. You now have sterilized hydroton.