View Single Post
Old 11-20-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willard3 View Post
Hence my previous post, ie,

If you divide lumens by watts, how would you come out with kilowatts?
Watts/1000 = kilowatts (not "lumens", unless you are spelling lumens "Watts")
(Lamp watts/1000) X hours of operation = kilowatt hours (no lumens mentioned)
KWH X cost/kwh = cost (again no lumens mentioned)

You just don't understand energy very well.
I understand dividing watts by 1000 to get kilowatts (a kilowatt being one 1000'th of a watt), then multiplying by hours of operation. But nowhere is LUMENS a part of that calculation. Again, energy comes in many forms, and is not the same thing as electricity. Even the wind has energy, or a tornado, even a waterfall has energy, even a fart has energy in the form of methane gas. There are even some farms that are converting the energy trapped in cow farts, into usable energy to power generators. You don't seem to understand the difference between energy and electricity, or you wouldn't keep referring to one when meaning another.

Once again
The form of energy of lumens is "A measure of the power of light PERCEIVED by the human eye"

I'm not sure why it's so important to you that I just believe that a "lamps lumen output" has anything at all to do with calculating its electrical cost. But you also don't seem to understand that the electrical costs of other devices "OTHER THAN LAMPS" need to be calculated also, in order for the electric company to be able to charge for the electricity they use. Fact is lights/lamps are not special, you don't have two electric meters on your house, one for lamps and another for everything else. You can keep trying if it's so important to you (and I won't say never), but good luck convincing me.