View Single Post
Old 09-20-2010, 03:53 AM

OK,
I am not that pessimistic though. I also know that it takes time to make changes in peoples thinking (as you eluded to). But the point of the barge is to teach the new generation a new way, not try to teach old dogs new tricks (even though it's open to the public). The main goal is to teach the collage students through example. Of coarse what collage student has the money you need to do a start-up like that (not many). But they have a open mind and are not set in the old ways, and can influence people etc., and they are the future growers (that's the goal). The the goal is to teach others how, not to raise the funds so they can.

I guess it's in how you look at things. I don't see it as some futuristic science experiment. I suppose some could, although I just can't/don't (and I'm 42 years old). But it's up to the persons personality I guess. Every day after school I went dumpster diving, next to our condos was an apartment building that had 15-20 dumpsters. I found all kinds of stuff including over 100 telephones one time when they did some remodeling. I took everything I found interesting home and took it apart to see how it worked (what's to loose, I can throw it away myself if needed). My point is, that I'm a curious person by nature, and it's just hard for me to think otherwise, and I cant see myself being alone in that.

I know from personal experience that telling others about hydroponics is not the easiest thing to do. Fact is, they always make a joke about growing pot, as if that was the only thing you can grow with hydroponics. But over time I have been able to convince most of them there many benefits to growing hydroponically (and not just pot, even old timers), even convinced a few to try it themselves (and people who only knew growing in dirt). One barge wont change the world, but it does show that it can be changed if people really want it to. I do agree that if there are some company's that want to sell the idea/concept of better farming it would be a great idea. I personally plan to do just that. I plan to build a hydro farm myself (well you know money issues), utilizing all the technology's that I can. I also plan to have it open to the public for anyone to see it in action (teaching etc.).

P.S.
I'm not considering growing with lights at the moment (nothing wrong with it), just don't have the funds at the moment. I need $400 to $500 to replace a crashed computer before I can consider much else, and that's what's really on my mind as of late. Right now I have no plants growing. I am planing some lettuce and spinach in the same setup I grew lettuce before, after that things are up in the air. The daily highs are still in the 105 F to 107 F range but will go way down by mid October. Then I will need to deal with cool temps, that's why I didn't start the peppers I had planed.

I do have some ideas on growing under florescence's, but where to put them is the issue. No room inside the house, the garage may have some small space (If I clean it out) and outside there is no need (natural light). I'm very interested in seeing your new greenhouse up and running (thanks for all the earlier pic's).

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 09-20-2010 at 05:32 AM.