View Single Post
Old 04-23-2010, 03:21 AM

Default Planning my setup, input needed

Dear members,

I arrived at the country where I want to try out hydroponics. The primary goal is supplying our restaurant with some fresh and safe vegetables. Most store bought veggies are full of pesticides.

Living in South East Asia the temp can be pretty high, summer 30C - 39C. This is why I am thinking about using the deep pond floating raft technique where possible and an ebb and flow system of Dutch buckets (if I can find them here) for plants that can not be planted in deep pond floating raft systems. Mainly peppers and tomato.

The big ammount of water in a deep pond system would heat up less if made big enough and it provides some protection in case of a power outage. I will install a UPS however. Over time maybe a generator.
The Dutch bucket system is chosen for almost the same reason, a small reservoir inside the buckets gives a small buffer in case the power goes down. By putting the tanks in the ground I hope the sollution will stay within acceptable heat limits.

All would be placed under a rainproof construction together with shade clothes and insectnetting on the sides.

Questions:
- I have seen various installations of the deep pond technique.
1 A simple small tank with airstones (like in the forum here)
2 A longer tank with on one end a horizontal pipe that drips sollution in the thank and on the other side a hole where it flows back into the tank. This creates a small waterflow.
3 A large swimmingpool size bath full of rafts.

- What system is better? Or is it a matter of trial and error?

- How do they aerate the water in the large pool size ponds? Youtube has a video of a Canadian? company that works like that. Very impressive but the exact setup was not clear to me.

- Any thoughts or recommondations on my setup?

Thanks for all input. Of course pictures will follow as soon as everything is up and running