View Single Post
Old 05-23-2012, 01:39 PM

Actually, the pepper plants that I started in this system and documented throughout my previous posts in this thread ended up all dying; a result of a combination of cheap hardware and complacency. I had gotten to the point in my grow where I was confident enough that I would not check on the plants on a daily basis (and usually multiple times a day in the beginning). I ended up having a timer that was built into a cheap powerstrip fail and, in the couple of days it took me to notice my systems were not turning on, the plants had all wilted and dropped the vast majority of their leaves. They were essentially beyond salvage. I was really bummed; I had some really good pepper producing plants too.

I ended up taking a break from the hobby for a while, and am just starting back up with a new build. I have a new set of seedlings in my cloner now and am nearing completion of the construction of a new system. I currently have a mixture of mini sweet bell, scotch bonnett, pepperoncini, sweet banana, and red cayenne seedlings that are a couple weeks old. I had also ordered tepin seeds but none of them sprouted.

I've not done any extensive picutre documentation of the new system to speak of, but it's a design fairly common to the people on the forums I think. I'm going with a "rail" system using the 5x5 square vinyl fence posts. I'm still not confident that I won't have a root mass problem in the rails as the plants eventually reach maturity, but after a long deliberation of what system I wanted to start back up with I ended deciding on this style. I've taken various ideas from several sources across the web and hope I'll have a pretty successful system. I have the rails mostly constructed and am currently awaiting delivery of the new pump I'm going to use on this build. Once I get the pump and complete the rest of the plumbing, I'm sure I'll have to tweak a few things here and there, but hope I've got a pretty solid design so hopefully nothing major will come up. It's going to be a 5 rail system with 4 sites per rail. The seedlings are doing well in the cloner and should be ready to transplant into the new system in the next few weeks. The cloner has just been running RO water up until yesterday when I introduced the seedlings to a 1/4 strength nute mixture. I'm expecting they'll be taking off here soon and really start to grow rapidly. I'm looking forward to be getting back into a new grow.