View Single Post
Old 10-18-2010, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by granth View Post
To use the flora series nutrients, I have to buy the Micro, Grow, and Bloom series...correct?

I hate to come off cheap, but my first attempt is by far on a budget. I will post a few pictures once it's together. Is there anything that would work well for a little cheaper?
Yes the flora series is a 3 part and you need all 3 for it to work well. I didn't post the link because I figured you were on a budget. I don't know what you can afford or how big your system is planed for. But If on a budget I defiantly would recommend dry nutrients rather than the liquids. They are always cheaper because of shipping costs, not just to your house but the vendor who sells it to you pays shipping to him also (so he needs to pass that on to the customer).

I'm assuming that you don't have any local hydroponic supply stores near by because of the way your question was worded, so you will need to order on line in order to get any. I was fortunate enough to have some dry nutrients given to me to try out, and I have found that these have worked well for me. In fact I will likely use them exclusively in the future, simply because of cost compared to the General Hydroponics liquid nutes (not that I'm unhappy with the GH nutrients, other than cost).

Virti-Gro
The Verti-Gro Hydroponic Fertilizers and Nutrients - Organic and Hydroponic Growing for Commercial and Hobby Growers

It's a 2 part nutrient, first part is the "hydroponic formula" (fertilizer) the second part is the "calcium nitrate." Both come as a dry mix, you mix 2 pounds each separately into one gallon water jugs. At that point you have both parts pre-mixed as a liquid concentrate (instructions are on the label). Then to make the nutrient solution you mix 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons (10mL to 15mL) of each part per gallon of water. The label says 1/2 to 3/4 ounces per gallon (1 fluid oz = 30mL). As with most all hydroponic nutrients it's better to mix it a little weak, especially in hot weather or for small plants (seedlings about 1/4 strength) .

This is exactly what I have been using:
2 lbs. 5-10-25 Hydroponic Formula, SKU#: F510252, Unit Price: $11.95 (shipping $6.50)
2 lbs. Calcium Nitrate 15-0-0, SKU#: F15002, Unit Price: $8.95 (Shipping $6.00)

This makes 250 gallons of nutrient solution mixed per instructions, more if you mix it weaker. For $20.90 + shipping $12.50 Total: $33.40. But they also have the combo package: Nutrient Combo 4 lbs ea. 5-10-25 & 15-0-0, SKU#: FCombo, for $39.95 (shipping included) $6.50 more than buying them the other way but it makes twice as much.

Compared to the General Hydroponics Flora Series that makes 390 gallons of nutrient solution out of the 3 (part) gallons of liquid, each costing $25 or more + shipping for a total of about $100-$110 depending on where I order from, the virti-gro is much cheaper. $40 making 500 gallons, and for about $120 I can get the 25 pound quantity of both parts of the nutrients (including shipping), and it will make about 5000 gallons if mixed per instructions, more if mixes weaker. Anyway that's the way I'm leaning.