View Single Post
Old 10-17-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by granth View Post
To use the flora series nutrients, I have to buy the Micro, Grow, and Bloom series...correct?

I hate to come off cheap, but my first attempt is by far on a budget. I will post a few pictures once it's together. Is there anything that would work well for a little cheaper?
I've had good luck with local store nutrients, but dollar for dollar, you're going to spend about the same thing for them as with the GH nutrients.

The difference is in the produce. I'll give you a quick example:

The predominant vitamin in Tomatoes is "A". In soil grown tomatoes that you buy from your local grocery store, there is about 400 or so units of vitamin A per/pound. The FDA requires farmers to fertilize so that there is at least that much, and farmers know exactly how much fertilizer to use to arrive at that requirement.

If you maximize your nutrients at home in a hydroponic system, you can have tomatoes that have 4 thousand units of vitamin A per/pound.

This ratio holds true with almost all the veggies you can grow at home in a hydroponic system.

Of course, that comes at a price; more nutrients. Nutrients cost money.

GH makes what I think are the best nutrients available for the costs. If you feed your plants with GH nutrients at the suggested rate, you'll have some vitamin packed veggies for your own health and that of your children.

One salad will be equal to ten salads of store bought produce.

You can try some of the Miracle Grow products, but be careful not to over-do it with them. While good in small amounts on almost all veggies, they can cause some real problems on many veggies if used in too strong of a dose.

Miracle Grow products and those like them are made for soil growers. Hydroponic Gardening is a whole new world when considering nutrient application.