Thread: My First system
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2011, 07:05 PM

Well I thought I would give a quick update. I am currently fighting the infection to my res again. It came back again. I have dumped about 64 ounces of 3% H2O2 in it and it has cut it down considerably.

The plants seem unaffected and are doing fine and growing well. I am going to let it run as is with the high levels of H2O2 for a couple more days and then resterilize the system again. This time I will make sure nothing can live in it lol... I will be rinsing the medium (and the plants) thuroughly and then the medium (and roots) will get some H2O2 baths while I am sterilizing the system with bleach, rinsing a few times, probably, another bleaching, some more rinsing, then a full once over with some isopropyl. Let it dry then probably repeat and rinse.

This is hopefully overkill and will hopefully be enough to prevent a reoccurance.

I am considering even doing an alcohol spray on the stand it is on. The system will also be placed in a different location to try to even further prevent infection :P

either way lol.. I just thought I would post an update and let you know my plans.

PS: I am also considering swapping to a chlorine sterilizer instead of H2O2 and trying that to see if it will keep the nasties down. I have read of a 2.5-3 ppm of chlorine nutrient mix that is none damaging to plants and seems to work better than H2O2 for sterilizing. It doesn't add oxygen to the system, and you can't use H2O2 with the chlorine because it will make salt :P

Last edited by jamromhem; 08-08-2011 at 07:10 PM.