Thread: My First system
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2011, 05:25 PM

Ok. I haven't done an update in a while so I figured I would add some pics of my plants as they are right now.

First is the Basil in my hydroponic system (The only thing in it right now).
Once again I have that darned yellowish coloring on the growing medium, and I think it is the same infection. The difference is that this time it isnt spreading to the res since I have a UV light on 24/7. The res looks fine. I upped the Chlorine levels to try to kill it back before it gets too bad. I don't have a clue what to do with it lol. I might just have to live with it as my last attempt to kill it didnt work, and I haven't a clue what to do else other than trash it all and start over to try to get rid of it lol.... I steralized EVERYTHING.

Either way.

Second is the basil in the seedling tray. I pulled the dome off today and set the light right on top of the plants to try to promote their growth. The younger leaves (first true leaves) are still small and are curly... If anyone who has grown basil knows if that is normal or not let me know they are both doing it.

Next are my tomatoes. (left to right (front and back are the same))
Believe it or not, red currant, brandywine, amish paste.

Last are my lettuce. They are a little soft to the touch, but they are still young and I am not expecting them to be awesome crunchy lettuce yet :P

I have never grown vegies before so if anyone sees anything let me know. I also have oregano and cilantro in another container I will take pics of later. The cilantro is still too early to germinate (slow buggers) The oregano is looking like they are gonna take over though. (I tossed in a bunch of seeds and let them do their thing.)

Anyway. Please let me know what you might think from the pics. Any suggestions from experience is greatly appreciated.

I felt I should clarify I have grown plants before, just not edible ones. My past experience is with crepe mertles and privacy bushes and the like. I have a lot of experience with them. My crepe mertles were about 30 ft tall with just as large a spread. (the largest I have ever seen) I miss those dern mertles :P
Attached Images

Last edited by jamromhem; 08-22-2011 at 05:29 PM.