View Single Post
Old 10-31-2014, 06:19 PM

Default NFT Setup in Florida Keys

I haven't posted since last year, so here it is:

The pictures are of my outdoor NFT setup, tomatoes, jalapenos and basil.

The jalapenos were seeded 08/16/14, they are placed in 3 "pvc, spacing is 12 inches. The tank is 30 gallons and covered with shade cloth under a large shade tree in yard. I won't use PVC for jalapenos again as the root mass is pushing the plants out of pipes. The japs are producing well and very hot but it looks messy. The seed is called " mucho nacho hybrid". Real tasty.

I seeded tomatoes on 09/02/14, "Bella Rosa" determinates. I have a ton of flowers now and hope to have maters in November. I stagger out my seedings throughout year. One of the pics you can see my new transplants and the other pic has new seeds in oasis cubes.

It's a challenge in the Keys due to the critters, iguanas and rats are a major problem. I kill them non stop and there is no end to them. That is one of the setbacks to growing outdoors. I lose 25 percent of my maters.

It is fun blasting iguanas with the pellet rifle as they are non native and it is legal to kill them.

The last picture is the root mass from last year, it still has not decomposed, the root mass will completely cover the bottom of the troughs by about 70-80 days. If you zoom in you can see the original oasis cubes and main plant stem.

Hope you enjoy the pictures.

Attached Images