View Single Post
Old 07-06-2014, 07:12 AM

Default Heirloom Tomatoes in Rockwool - My first setup

Hey everybody,

I decided to join this hydroponics forum to exchange on some ideas and facilitate my own learning process. I have read some of the posts here and I share the enthusiasm for hydroponics and really got hooked on it. Unfortunately I couldn't enthuse anybody else for my new passion. My girlfriend is already starting to complain about my new hobby

The setup that I have built is based on rockwool blocks. I started it in plugs and then moved it to the larger Grodan Delta's. They are in a dutch leech tray in a recirculating system. I did it first on a R2W but I wanted something more autonomous so I ordered a cheap pump for 15 Euros (20 Dollar) to circulate.
Its on a drip system from Gardena, (Husqvarna). But I found a supplier now that has similar system at 1/10th of the price.

I am growing tow types of heirlooms , Brandywine and Fabulous.

I used a fertilizer meant for Cannabis (I live in NL ) but now I switched to a 3 part sytem which has made my plants explode literally. They are on natural light in a "wintergarden". So I dont have much lighting control, the light is also weaker in the afternoon because it is somewhat in the shadow.

My plants seem to be looking quite healthy and I really hope to get some feedback and input on this system and the state of the plants. On some leaves there are some (minor) brown spots and the vine turns darkish towards the base of the plant. Also some of the leaves seem curled and I wonder if it is normal or not.

I am very dedicated to getting my first crop right because Im on a sort of competition with a friend who started them in soil and who thinks that hydroponics is unnatural.

Hope you guys like it !

Attached Images