View Single Post
Old 05-13-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkcom View Post
I'm starting up my first hydroponic setup. I was planning on doing an aeroponic setup first, but was convinced by the guy over at Frugal Hydroponics that a DWC system would be significantly easier to get started.

The System:
2 10 gallon totes from Lowes - $14 ($7 ea)
1 can of primer spray paint - $3
1 can of black paint - cheapo - $1
1 can of glossy white paint - cheapo brand - $1
2 12" air stones - $5 each i think
1 40 gph air pump - $20 (cheaper if i'd do it from ebay or amazon)
12 3.5in grow cups - $6
Total so far: $50

Other plans:
2 bulb 4' long t8 fixture - $18 from lowes (still need to check price at home depot, i'd prefer a t5)
2 bulbs - $12
Nylon ropes to hold up the fixture and hooks to hold up the lights (not sure price)
Total after: $90 or $100

Not bad. I plan on adding the lights on next paycheck so my wife doesn't get mad .

I also bought some rockwool from a local hydroponic store, will probably buy online next time.

Just getting started, but figured I'd start a thread here. I do plan on making a quick site to show the logs and track results. I'm interested in ideas .

Hey! I know that guy!!

Best of success to you. It has worked well for me and I have no real changes in the immediate future.

If you intend on any type of flowering plant, spend the money on T5 system and a couple red spectrum bulbs. Once I relocate and build the greenhouse / hoophouse, I will add T5 to the system.

Best of success!