View Single Post
Old 12-07-2009, 04:02 AM

This system is what I call my Vertical Tube aeroponic Design, I also got this idea from a picture I got online (pictures attached). I plan to use 8 or 10 inch tubing for the vertical part of this design. I can get this at the pluming supply house here in town. The side tubing will fit the baskets, and this I can get at the pluming supply house also. I haven't decided on the sizes yet and maybe might even have multiple sizes in one tube.

I also haven't decided the best way to go about creating the openings. I can cut the holes and insert the small tubes. This will also take some grinding down of the inside edge of the vertical tube to get the angle to point upward instead of straight in. I can cut the holes and glue the small tube to the outside of the big vertical tube. This will also take some grinding of the smaller tube to get the curve of the larger vertical tube and get the watertight fit. Also the inside part of the side tubes will be cut off if I go that way, it's just really hard to draw it that way. Also, the rows of side tubes for the plants will go all the way down to the bottom, its just hard to work with rounded surfaces with this program.

I left the top of the tube open and extended the P.V.C. for the nutrient delivery system (probably 1/2 or 3/4 inch tube) out of the top for you to see its positioning. It will have the same emitters/misters screwed directly into it. Both tubes will probably be about 6 feet tall, the nutrient delivery tube will have 3 emitters/misters (each in different directions), placed every foot starting one foot from the bottom (for a total of about 15 emitters/misters). The end cap at the bottom will have a larger piece of P.V.C. tubing glued to it that the tubing for the nutrient delivery system will sit in (to keep it centered). The bottom end cap will also have a through hole for the overflow back to the nutrient reservoir.

The top wont be a regular end cap. I will make one to fit and keep the tube centered. Probably round Styrofoam glued to a flat piece of something and simply fit it over the top. It will also be easy to take off without taking the tube out. If I ever have a problem with the misting system I can simply pull out the tube from the top and replace it with another one that is working, then fix the non functioning one later.
Attached Images