View Single Post
Old 12-07-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Along these lines, have you perhaps thought about using a 45 degree elbow fitting? Maybe cut one side of the fitting such that it sits fairly flush with the main tube, and then you have the bend in the fitting that could give you the angle upward you're looking for.
I am not able to get 45 degree fittings without needing to order online. They only carry 90 degree fittings that I know of here in town, I could check the pluming supply house but they cater to the major pluming company's and I don't think they would really have a need for them. Maybe I am not understanding you correctly but I don't see how that would differ from using the straight tubing and just cutting the angle I need with a hack saw, it cuts in second's. Any angle fitting I would need to cut anyway because I don't want it to extend inside the tube. Also the cost of 2 or 3 inch fittings will be much higher than the tubing of the same size. The fittings are also a little bigger than that to allow the tubing to go inside.

For the straight tube that glues directly to the outside, I would first cut the length I need, then cut the angle I need on one side. To match the curved surface of the main tube I would use a sanding or grinding wheel of the same diameter (8 inch tube, 8 inch grinding wheel). That should match it exactly to the main tube and insure the P.V.C. glue gets a good seal. Going this route I would not need to alter the inside edge of the hole in the main tube at all because it wont be going inside but simply be glued to the outside. I also wouldn't need to worry about the exact hole size as long as the basket fits through the hole.This in the long run will probably be the easiest method.

Quote:
and then you have the bend in the fitting that could give you the angle upward you're looking for.
I think you mean more like push it in the right direction because P.V.C. does not bend unless heated just right.

For the strait tube that goes through the main tube I would cut the length I need, then cut the hole to just the right size with the adjustable hole saw. Then take a small grinding week attached to the cordless drill and quickly give the inside edge the angle I need (that would only be needed at the bottom). The hole on top will ultimately need to be cut oblong to allow the tube to actually angle upward,for this reason especially I think the other method would be easier. Simply because this part would need to be done freehand and doing it just right all the times needed would be very difficult, then I would need to fix the imperfections or start over.

This steep may seem redundant because of the angle of the inside edge, but the angling of the inside edge wont allow enough room to maneuver the tube upward enough. The angling of the inside edge would give the flat surface area for gluing to. Then once inside with the right angle I would mark a line on the straight tube and cut off the part that would have extended inside the main tube. If not the roots would not get the spray for watering. In the long run the other method would probably be the easiest.