Thread: pH Questions
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2010, 10:24 PM

When i first got my pH pen and EC meter i did a little test of tap versus filtered ( i have a dupont 4 stage carbon type filter thats avialable at major stores, this one and all others all meet the same ANSI and NSF standards so their performance should be similar). and well their was little to no difference the ec is a little lower and the pH just .1 lower. When i got the meter it read 7.1 on a 7.00 calibration buffer that i KNOW to be accurate since we measure pH at my place of employment im going to let the samples sit overnight and see what change if any occurs. In the morning im going to experiment by putting a known amount of sulfuric acid in the samples and see if they both adjust equally to see if filtering is even worth this route, i will probably go to the semi local hydro store tomorrow and get some pH down from GH unless the shop owner can recommend something better (im hard to persuade so we will see) odds are i will bring home some sort of hydro specific pH down and will perform the same test on it to see if their is any better reaction to the pH down. as for the pH of tap water not changing from day to day i know this to NOT be true as i stated i measure pH at my place of employment well from one day to the next on the same source, ie same sink or hose, the pH can vary around .5 along with the chlorine in the water as we also test for free chlorine i can see a swing anywhere from .5 to 1.5 mg/L this can even vary .8mg/L on hot and cold water taps. im not claiming to know squat on pH or chlorine, those are just some observations ive made using some commercial grade testing equipment. my next step may just be to send my water in to be tested by the local water works.