View Single Post
Old 04-05-2013, 04:57 AM

Location: Southeast Washington State - Right on the line of growing zones 6b & 7a

Thanks for the update, I also have been really busy. I am half-way thru the Master Gardener program. Besides a 3 hour class once a week and on-line classes, I am required to volunteer 50 hours in the program with some in specific areas like the clinic and the demo garden. I also have been doing lots of education in the library system with both kids and adults. Just finished today a presentation on composting with worms for 3 to 12 year olds on spring break. I have also seeded over 100 plants both vegis and flowers for the annual plant sale on April 27th.
I just found out that the fair board wants me back for another hydro display and the library has requested a 45 minute presentation on hydroponics at several of their branches.
I have planted four fruit trees that are semi-dwarf and each tree had 4 varieties and are self-pollinating. I have 10 new chicks and 6 new turkey chicks in my bedroom so I'm not getting much sleep. Just had a huge thunder storm system move thru and had to bring in all the plants and the chicks for the night.
I finally settled on a greenhouse that I want and am expecting a "bonus" check from work soon that will be ear marked greenhouse.
I also will need to build the chick and turk coop and pen. I really would rather free range them, but they get ate! This new run will be 40' x 40' and covered with a net so the eagles don't get them. I plan to feed fodder sprouts in the winter so the coop will have to have an area for that.
All this while in hives from working out in the sun! Got a shot in the butt and things have settled down. Will have to order a big long sleeve shirt that has uv block in the material. They are kind of spendy but I think worth it in the end.
My youngest is wanting to start some aquaponics but not until the greenhouse is up and running. We have four seasons here so I have to think cooling as well as heating. Waiting to hear how your system is working with the cooling.... I think I am going to experiment with a sawdust barrel heater I saw on youtube.

Pictures are of the chickens, the seedlings for the plant sale,the new fruit trees (way out there) and the area where I want to put the greenhouse just infront of the trees.
Attached Images