Thread: Brown tips?
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2016, 08:30 AM

What is a DWR -- Deep Water Reservoir, aka Kratky.

1. What type of system are you growing your plants in?
See the attached photo. they are flat bins with 9 plants in each. 6 gallons of water is what it takes to fill, each has an aerator in it.
2. What are you using for the water supply?
Water comes from a Kinetico Softener. PH is neutral coming out of the tap. Might be a bit high in iron, but the way the system works, it strips most minerals out.
3. What are you using for nutrients, and are you using any additives?
MaxiGrow
4. How are you mixing the nutrients? I don't mean the ppm, I mean compared with the manufactures instructions. What is the manufactures recommendation per gallon of water, and how much are you using?
Recommended at 1-2 tsp per gallon. I started with 1 tsp, and noted that the plants didn't seem to like the low concentration as opposed to the Siberian Kale that I'm growing, in the past preferring 2 tsp per gallon. I have a 3 gallon bucket that gets 2 tbspn mixed, poured in, then repeat for a total of six gallons per reservoir.
5. What is the pH, and does it fluctuate?
Honestly, didn't check the pH to see if it fluctuated during the two week intervals of water change.
6. You mentioned growing three types of plants, do all of them have the same condition?
Kale is growing a bit slower, not as green. Chard was curling leaf at the same time the lettuce was browning out. Increasing Nut. Concentration seemed to help the chard.
7. What is the water and air temperatures?
Inside grow table, hous stays around 72-75 degrees all day.
8. How many actual plants are you growing total, and how big are they?
See attached photo 18' wide I think. 24-26 long.
9. What is the total water volume in the system?
6 gallons each tank.
10. What is the humidity?
Low, but not sure what exactly.. open air in an air conditioned house
11. is the color of the foliage nice and green?
color is pretty green.
12. What do the roots look like?
Lettuce and kale are whitish for the most part. slight ting of brown, but not looking unhealthy. Chard is red/pink roots.