Thread: Brown tips?
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2016, 08:25 PM

Hello Rye,
First, just so you know "DWR" isn't a real term, that's why I didn't understand it. I'm not up on all the different slang terms people use. Your referring to DWC (Deep Water Culture). But the designation of "deep Water" doesn't apply here since the water isn't 10 inches or more deep. The term "Kratky" isn't officially recognized either, it's a common slang term referring to a water culture system withough't an air pump. If you use the term "Kratky system" your referring to growing in a water culture system but not using an air pump. However since you are using an air pump, the slang term "Kratky" doesn't apply to your system either. What your actually growing in is a standard Water Culture system. Just so you know.

Your latest picture is dramatically worse than the original two you posted, so I think there's more going on than a minor nutrient uptake issue. I need to clarify some of your replays and ask some more questions.

Clarification
  1. How much air are the roots getting, does the water look like boiling water? What air pump are you using? Are the rising air bubbles evenly distributed throughout the container, or n one spot?
  2. Does your Kinetico Softener take salt?
  3. Your using 1 1/2 tsp of MaxiGro per gallon of water (2 tsp per 3 gallons)?
  4. pH is important it will directly affect nutrient uptake, as well as other nutrient problems. You need to know what the pH is or it doesn't mater what nutrients your using or how strong they are or mixing them. If your plants are having problems you should be checking pH regularly, like every day or you will never know if your nutrient uptake problems are pH related or not. Not to mention if there is something changing your pH that would be a problem and needs to be fixed as well. Also when your pants are having problems, you need to check pH using pH drops to eliminate false readings that electronic meters can give.
  5. Your reply to my question about the air and water temps was that it was 72-75 degrees. But I'm not clear if your saying the overall room temp is normally 72-75 or if you actually checked the water temp and checked the air temps right at the plants foliage. The room temp can be 72-75 but the actual temp at the plants foliage and in the water can be higher because of the close proximity of the lights. The lights can even burn the plants, especially in low humidity. So Im not looking for the room temperature, I'm looking for the temp at the plants foliage, and the actual water temperature.

New questions
  1. What are you using as a growing media?
  2. What is the water level in relation to the baskets in the containers?
  3. Does the water have a moldy or musty smell?
  4. Is the water cloudy?
  5. Do you see any fuzzy or powdery substance on the leaves before the leaves die?
  6. So you see any small bugs (spider mites, white fly's, nats, fungus gnats etc.), on or flying around the plants?

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 07-25-2016 at 08:27 PM.