Thread: pH buffered
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2010, 04:57 PM

I'm not being extreme. You specifically said "you can be way off on pH and still produce a great plant". Your second post said a "bit off". Those are two totally different things, particularly when dealing with pH as the scale is logarithmic and not linear. The first one, which is what I replied to, is totally false and can set people up for failure if they make the mistake of taking that advice. So, as I said, it's really bad advice.

Also, you said "nasty" water. That isn't usually confused with "drinkable". You're right that there should be a standard to go by when answering questions. Just as there are standard definitions to words. It stands to reason that "nasty" water would be very poor quality water. So if you say "nasty", I don't think people should just assume you mean drinkable. That makes no sense. Poor quality water should be avoided for best results.

No, watering dirt isn't what we do on here. But chemistry is chemistry and works the same in dirt or in hydro. Granted, your variables of soil actually make pH of the water even less of an issue, but pH still matters either way. So, the examples are perfectly relevant. New people tend to relate to soil better when making comparisons.