View Single Post
Old 04-23-2010, 10:20 PM

Let's switch to the hard evidence and the facts then (something you actually asked for repeatedly, right?) - a good support for my opinion and reason why I don't recommend growing tomatoes (and strawberries) under temperatures in the ranges of 45-50° Celsius (113 -122 F) according to the thread starters question:

And yes not recommending (and why) that was and is all I was saying in that context!

The first source is directly from University of Arizona, your place right?
__________________________________________________ _____________
1. For tomatoes, day temperatures should be 21° -26° C (70° -79° F) and night temperatures around 16° -18.5° C (61° -65° F)
High temps in excess of 30° C to 35° C will cause many different types of damage to the plants, such as inhibition of growth and even death. The physiological nature of heat damage is thought to involve a denaturation of some protein component of plant cells. Fruit abortion may occur at these temperatures as well.

Source: The University of Arizona
hydroponictomatoes
2. Common Tomato Disorders Under Desert Conditions:
Tomatoes grow best if temperatures range between 70 and 90 degrees Fahrenheit, but can tolerate temperatures lower than 55° F and higher than 100° F for short periods. However, extended periods lower or higher than these temperatures abort the blossoms.

Source: University of Nevada

Common Tomato Disorders Under Desert Conditions
3. When day temperatures exceed 85°F and night temperatures exceed 72°F, tomato flowers will abort. An important factor involved with temperature is time of exposure. The longer the plants are exposed to these high temperatures, the longer the condition will last and the more serious the effect on flowering.

Source: Auburn University AL
Tomato blossom drop
4. Bloom drop, poor fruit set and/or cat-facing (deformed fruit) induced by high temperature (> 92°F) due to reduced pollination.
Source: Horticultural Sciences, Texas A&M University
cropguides tomato T A&M

5. During unfavorable weather (night temperatures lower than 55°F, or day temperatures above 95°F with drying hot winds), tomatoes do not set and flowers drop. The problem usually disappears as the weather improves.

Source University of Illinois
unfavorable weather
6. Prolonged periods of high temperatures above 90°F and wind during the day are associated with blossom drop.

Source: Oklahoma State University
Prolonged periods of high temperatures

I believe my recommendations and statements, as well as the recommendation to think seasonal with tomatoes and strawberries is sufficiently backed up now even if the "burden of proof" has actually never existed on my side. Isn't it your turn now, to be fair play and deliver some credible and official proof, to justify your repeated and sustained denial and extended rhetoric objection against my recommendations?

Last edited by Luches; 04-23-2010 at 10:24 PM.