View Single Post
Old 04-24-2010, 03:13 AM

Quote:
I believe my recommendations and statements, as well as the recommendation to think seasonal with tomatoes and strawberries is sufficiently backed up now even if the "burden of proof" has actually never existed on my side. Isn't it your turn now, to be fair play and deliver some credible and official proof, to justify your repeated and sustained denial and extended rhetoric objection against my recommendations?
I am aware of the University of Arizona website, I have had it bookmarked for a long time. I also am well aware of the extensions services. That is nothing new to me, and I would trust all of the sources you posted. I am not now or ever did say any information from creditable sources are false, that was never my point. But nothing that any of those (or other) sources say (or may say) can discount anything I have said. I never said your plants will be perfect in 120F temps, I never said anything of the sort. I did however say you can grow them, and that people in my town do just that all the time. That is what you are asking me to prove, and you still have not disprove that fact.

The temp here in our town is in the upper 80's (30 C) and it is only late April. Next week it has been forecast to be in the low 90's (about 35 C). By the end of May, and early June the temp will be over 100 F daily (about 40 C). By mid July it will be to the 120 F mark daily (in the 50 C or better range). In 2 1/2 months it will be over 120 F daily until the end of August. Late July we start getting the monsoons, so the humidity is higher also.

Last weekend I was at both Lowe's and Home Depot looking for spinach plants (I never found). But while I was there, they both had displays of the Topsy Turvy tomato planters with live plants in them, even the Strawberry models. These things sell extremely well in this town, and everyone and there brother seem to be getting them. My point is, that people wouldn't be buying these, nor would the stores be wasting valuable shelf space on product's like this, as well as the live plants in there nursery's if people were not buying and growing them. They are not going to buy these plants right now if within 1 to 2 months they would have nothing to show for there efforts because the temp was too high. People grow these plants year after year here, they would not be spending there money if it was just a waist of time. I will have the manager at Lowe's call you tomorrow to verify what I say is true.

I never said that the conditions were prefect. I just say if that is what you have to work with, work with it (like we do here). My other point is that you can read all you want (even from creditable sources), but nothing can replace experience. What can it cost to plant a couple of these plants and see what happens for yourself (while you read up). Like I said "It's very simple plant a plant, see if it grows, if it doesn't under your conditions don't do it again. Or figure out what you can do to make the conditions better and try again. What's to prove?" If you had your way you would stop everyone in this town from even trying. Fortunately they don't know that Luches says not to even try. I guess they succeed simply because they don't know their not supposed to.

People are not allowed to speak if you don't agree with what they have to say, that is simply rude and disrespectful to others (something you are incapable of learning). Everybody in this forum (whatever is left) get that Luches does not recommend trying to grow tomato's and strawberry's in high heat, but nothing gives you the right to demand that they don't even try. You could have simply posted those links, quotes, and simply say this is why I wouldn't recommend it, that wouldn't have been disrespectful. But if you have not learned good social skills yet, I doubt you ever will.

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 04-24-2010 at 03:31 AM.