View Single Post
Old 05-27-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpsFrontier View Post
Square pvc is probably easier to cut the holes in too. I would just want to make sure that they are black on the inside like the large round tubes are so that it is light proof to cut down on algae growth. Also I would want to make sure that they were wide enough to allow for the root growth. Thanks for the tip...

I have been adjusting the water height on both my peppers and strawberry's and have found they like it best when the water level is about 1 to 1 1/2 inches below the top of the growing medium on the strawberry's and about 2 inches below the top of the growing medium for the peppers. Any higher and I see signs of stem rot, any lower and the roots need to migrate to find water. Especially in the case of my strawberry's that are in the 3 inch baskets like your lettuce, if the water level is to low the growing medium wont be able to fully saturate with water and nutrients and the plants would wilt and start to dry out. Basically you would want to saturate the roots and growing medium but without soaking the stem's of the plant. Any plant's root system will try to migrate toward water but that just causes stress to the plant. They can grow faster and healthier if they don't need to work to get the water and nutrients they need.
I just have to say, this info. is sooooo helpful.