Thread: My third system
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2011, 07:55 PM

All your plants are looking great. And that water melon (I think you said) reminds me of the cantaloupes I grew last year. I also grew snow peas like that too last year, I tended to just pluck them and eat them straight off the plant. I'm allergic to bees too! Many years ago I used to carry the prescription shot, so I could inject myself right away if I got stung. But I don't have one anymore. Luckily it has been years since I have been stung by anything (over a decade). The last time I was riding my motorcycle, and a wasp hit me in the leg. I went straight home (5 min away), pulled out the stinger. Tried sucking as much venom out as I could with a camping snake bite kit. Then made a patch out out of baking soda and put it over the spot, then warped it to my leg. Everything was going well until the next day when I went to work, and had to leave a few hours early to go to a walk in doctors office to get the shot.

The doc told me where I went wrong was going to work, and walking around on the leg all day. I should have kept off of it, changing the backing soda patch. Kept the leg up, and with ice on it. Though I know everybody's allergic levels to stings are different, and change over time. They don't really scare me anymore, I know a few things to do to self medicate if stung. I don't mind being around bees too much, I'm just careful not to provoke them. I just let them do their thing, and if there's more than a few in my general area, I just calmly step back out of the way. If I needed to get something done and there were too many bees in the area, I would smoke them out of the area, similar to the way bee keepers do (but have never had to yet).

Now I live in the land of the killer bees (Arizona). Even though I'm always on the lookout for bee swarms and aggressive bees, I'm most concerned with scorpions. We have the Bark scorpion here, and I haven't been stung by one. But I know I'm allergic to bees, so I don't know what a bark scorpion sting will do to me. We get the house sprayed for pests at least twice a year, and I have a pump sprayer with pesticide (that works for scorpions too) that I periodically spray around. I have caught about 6-7 scorpions in the house in the last about 5 years. Their easy to catch when you see them, I just place a glass jar over them, slide a piece of cardboard underneath, then flip it over. They cant climb glass. But when I start seeing crickets inside, I know scorpions aren't far behind, and it's time to get the place sprayed.