Thread: growing medium
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh4dowman View Post
Another newbie question here

Are (any of) the following grow / starter media reusable? (after sanitizing the media with bleach/water solution)

- Coconut Coir
- LECA (Hydroton or clay balls)
- Perlite
- Rockwool
- Oasis

How about disposing of the media?
Coconut Coir (which actually is a general term) decomposes slowly but surely and completely, depending on it's fiber content. Coconut coir is not reusable for conventional hydroponics but a good aditive for compost or organic substrates. It is actually and perfectly reusable in "drip to waste" hydroponics, though.

Hydroton has the main advantage to be reusable in any way.

Oasis cubes are from synthetic material and (obviously) said by the manufacturer to not be reusable or compostable.

Perlite can be reused, especially when used for seedlings and easy to clean. Perlite can also be a great substrate additive with potting ground.

Rockwool is recommended by most manufacturers to be thoroughly rinsed of any organic material and to be reused.

I have used all of them - and as far as I am concerned and in my practice, none of them except synthetic material will go into any trash can. Btw: I only use rock wool for cloning ,and any synthetic material is used very sparingly, - in fact for occasional testing purposes only.

PS: for some people hydroponics is seen and practiced as a clean or even "sterile art". But that is only one way of seeing and doing it. I am doing hydroponics with semi-organic media and high bacterial activity (even inoculation), organic decomposition, even room for some algae and use and build-up of organic material since years and am rather successful. If doing so, slightly different roles and ways of doing apply for sure, but I believe they are closer to nature and have less of that "lab atmosphere" many hydroponic setups and their respective owners reflect.

Last edited by Luches; 03-23-2010 at 10:14 PM.