Thread: growing medium
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2010, 12:12 AM

Quote:
I believe this is not a matter of argumentation or rhetorical comparisons but of simple facts:
There is no argumentation or rhetorical comparisons.
Quote:
Rockwool slabs and bricks ARE successfully used several times by many professional growers. Simply let them dry out and sterilize them as they are with hydrogen peroxide and dry again - then reuse.
Sure that would keep the slabs in tact, and sterilize the rockwool, but it still wont dissolve and wash away all the roots that are embedded in it. Also the cost of the Hydrogen Peroxide needed, using full strength (3%) to saturate a lot of rockwool could be costly, bleach would likely be more cost effective for sterilization. Not that it can't be done, but it wont be a fresh clean product again no mater how you try. Just a simple fact. And again, you should be able to use the same process with oasis.
Quote:
As for Perlite you also dry out the whole clod with everything. The roots will shrink when drying. When completely dry, shake well and there you have it separated much easier. Do not separate all micro particles of organic matter and fibers from Perlite but only sieve the dusty and fine parts out - then sterilize it all with hydrogen peroxide and reuse (preferably for seedlings or fast growing crops, may indeed be a hint here).
Sure if you don't mind a lot of as you say "micro particles of organic matter" left mixed in. I was referring to cleaning the material. If you wanted you could do the same with coco chips/fiber also. I am not saying that it's 100% not reusable, just not 100% cleanable without too much labor.